Kristy's Barn CSA 2017
When you become a member of our CSA, you are purchasing a “share” of our harvest and assuming some of our agricultural risks. This year, Kristy’s Barn will be offering limited memberships in two, Community Supported Agriculture, (CSA) enterprises.
8 REASONS TO JOIN OUR CSA:
- Nutrient-dense foods: Whether nutrition has always been part of your diet, or is a new concept, our CSA is a great way to take the stress out of shopping.
- New flavors: You never know what new flavors you will discover!
- Local: Why haul food hundreds of miles when you can get it in your own backyard? Plus fresher always tastes better.
- Creative cooking: New food means new recipes!
- Hefty haul: If it is a great year, you’ll get LOTS of food! (2016 averaged 11lbs a week, with over 5 varieties!) Great for freezing and eating year-round!
- Diversity: We do our best to diversify our crops to ensure that you have enough in your baskets and on your plates.
- Pick-up food and friends: Weekly pickups are a great way to meet fellow CSA-ers!
- Sharing is caring: If your basket is too full, feel free to share it with a neighbor, friend, or set it in the basket for our local food pantry.
Summer Vegetable CSA
This 40 member CSA is a simple CSA with veggies available from the mid/end of June through the mid/end of September 2017. Exact dates are dependent on Mother Nature.
2017 CSA is full - Check back next January for 2018 Rates
Fall Fruit CSA
This 30 Member CSA will be a simple CSA with a variety of apples and pears included weekly, and our all natural pressed cider provided every other week from Mid-September through October 2017.
2017 Fruit CSA is full - Check back in January for 2018 rates
Deposits: Are non-refundable and due by March 31, 2017 - Balance due May 15, 2017
All deposit checks can be made out to 'Kristy's Barn' and mailed to Ken Johnson at - 2385 Brookview Road Castleton, NY 12033. Please include your name, email, phone number and type of CSA share you are purchasing with your deposit. You will receive a postcard to confirm your purchase.
Late registrations: will be charged an additional 10% non-refundable fee.
Sign-up: will be on first come, first served basis.
Pick-up location and Time: The Farm at Kristy’s Barn – (2385 Brookview Road Castleton, NY 12033) on Wednesdays between 2 pm and 7/6pm (depending on store hours).
Additional Information: If you are interested or have further questions, email us your name and telephone number at KristysBarn@gmail.com. Kristy’s Barn will open Monday, May 1, 2017 for another great season.
Sign up to recieve the details in January - 2018
As with any agricultural enterprise, weather conditions dictate the success or failure of production. As a CSA member you are accepting some of the risk associated with agricultural production. We cannot guarantee that all crops will successfully reach maturity. We are a low input producer and use limited spray in our production. We will do our best and use accepted agricultural practices to make this CSA a success.
2017 vegetable csa crop plan:
- Beans – (Green and Yellow)
- Cabbage – (Red, Green, Savoy, and Chinese)
- Chinese Pak Choi
- Cucumbers – (Slicing and Pickling)
- Greens – (Butter Crunch, Chinese Greens, Endive, Escarole, Red and Green Leaf Lettuces, Romaine)
- Herbs - (Basil, Cilantro, and Parsley)
- Honey Dew Melon
- Kale (Red and Green)
- Kohlrabi (Purple and Green
- Peas – (Shelling and Edible Pod)
- Peppers – (Green, Red, Orange, Yellow, Purple Sweet varieties and various hot varieties)
- Squash – (Zucchini, Yellow/Summer, Lebanese/Mediterranean/Kussa)
- Winter Squash - (Acorn, Butternut, Spaghetti, Kabocha, Buttercup)
- Sweet Corn
- Tomatoes – (Regular, Roma, Heirloom, Green, Yellow, Cherry yellow/red, and Grape)
2017 FALL FRUIT CSA CROP PLAN:
- Honey Crisp
- Barlet Pears
- Bosc Pears
- Old Fashioned Cider